Saturday, July 18, 2015

It's County Fair Time!

It's time for the County Fair and there's lots of things I love about it.  Most of all the grand kids come visit for the week or depending on their swim class schedules and things they come for at least a few days.  I take vacation for the week and this year I REALLY need it.

I love seeing all the wonderful projects people enter.  There are so many terrific things to see and be inspired by.  The anticipation of winning a ribbon on my own entries is always fun.  Riding the rides with my grand kids.  Walking through the livestock areas and seeing how well the 4-H kids have done raising their animals. The rodeo and entertainment is always great to watch. This year our granddaughter wants to enter the pig catching contest.  She has decided that if she catches a pig then Grandpa can raise it for her.  They live in an apartment so Grandpa has agreed if she catches one he will raise it for her.   She says they are so cute when they are babies but when they grow up they become bacon and she loves bacon.  And of course, last but certainly not least the food.  There is always something you can only seem to get once a year at the fair.  For us it's paying a visit to the Scone trailer.  They have the best, great big scones (they cover a paper plate) and you choose what topping you want on it.  Marion Berry is always a favorite.

So, today I'll be baking because I plan to enter some whole wheat bread, banana bread and oatmeal cookies.  I'll also be entering 4 photographs. I'm not a photographer but over the past year I happened to take some pretty cool pictures when I was out and about (I did it on my cell phone too).  What the heck, it doesn't cost anything to enter them so we'll see what happens. I don't expect to get a ribbon on them I just want to see if they get any points. I'll be entering a dozen eggs from our chickens too. Last year I got a 3rd place ribbon so this year I hope to get 2nd or 1st on them.  AND of course I have a list of about 15 canned goods entries to gather up and get ready to go.  I love to get ribbons on my canned goods because that's really my passion.

So off I go.  I'll be busy today because the entries for the fair have to be there tomorrow (Sunday), the judging is on Monday and the fair opens on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment