Thursday, July 2, 2015

I LOVE canning dry beans!

I helped at a workshop last weekend where we taught people how to can dried beans.  I forgot how much I love having home canned beans in my pantry.  Last night for dinner I opened a jar of Scarlet Runners I canned last year.  I cooked them with some chopped onion and served them as a side dish.  They were DELISH!

So this weekend I think I'll can some more dried beans.  It's super easy. First you soak them overnight. Then you drain the soaking water off them and put them in a pot covered by fresh water with about an extra inch over the top of the beans.  Boil them for about 30 minutes. Then put the hot beans in hot jars and fill with boiling water then remove the air bubbles.  Add a little salt if you want.  Wipe the rims of the jars and put the lids on. Then pressure can them according to the time and pressure requirements for your altitude (look that up with an approved resource like the Ball Blue Book).  They are so good as a side dish or added to a casserole or soup.

I'm going to do a couple different things to the beans I can.  I think I'll add a little chopped onion to them and some spices then instead of using water as the liquid I think I'll use tomato juice. Those will be perfect as the beginning of several meals.  Just imagine browning some good sausage chunks then adding one of these jars of beans with tomato and spices. Once that's hot and a little thicker it would be perfect over rice.  Kind of like a quick and easy Red Beans and Rice dish.

Now that's a great idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment