Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Bacon Jam - Only in the fridge!

Recently I was walking through the local Farmer's Market.  I noticed some Bacon Jam for sale at one of the booths.  I asked how it had been processed and the person behind the table said "What do you mean?" I asked if it had been processed in a pressure canner.  She replied "Oh, no it isn't."  She also had no idea what the recipe was.  So, this is meat (low acid food) and she said it isn't processed in a pressure canner. If it isn't processed in a pressure canner then what would the vinegar ratio for a recipe like this be?  It was for sale out there with pretty little labels on the jars.  Maybe those pretty little labels should be a skull and cross bones.  I know that sounds dramatic but honestly this low acid food even though I'm sure it must contain vinegar has to have some specific vinegar ratio or pressure canning guidelines to be a safe product.

So I checked it out and low and behold there are lots and lots of Bacon Jam recipes out there.  Just look online.  You'll see them from All Recipes to Martha Stewart.  But none of the ones I found have any processing  (boil water or pressure canning) instructions.  They all say to store the Bacon Jam in the fridge for 2 - 4 weeks or freeze it.  NO CANNING GUIDELINES!  I called the local extension office to find out if Bacon Jam is safe.  The research  they found also says it is not to be stored at room temperature but refrigerated or frozen instead.

So how was this Bacon Jam being sold on a table, sealed airtight, in the warm sunlight, at the Farmer's Market?  That's a good question.  It's hard for the people who organize those things to know every thing that every booth is selling.  It's pretty much up to the people at the booth to make sure what they sell is safe. But what that tells me is in the end it's really up to each of us to remember to question products.  Especially ones that are home made and sold at places like farmer's markets. I understand our local Extension Office notified the organizer of the Farmer's Market which is the responsible thing to do. If the people selling the Bacon Jam can prove it's processing method and it's safety then so be it.

Remember - Danger Never Takes A Day Off.  Just because you see it for sale doesn't make it safe.


1 comment:

  1. Your blog site rocks. I subbed (I hope/think!). I might use that saying too "Danger Never Takes A Day Off!". Love it. Keep'em coming. LyLy

    ReplyDelete