Wednesday, April 8, 2015

4:00 am and I'm thinking about potatoes!

I woke up at 4:00 am and the first thing that came to my mind was how to organize my day so I can get some potatoes canned.  I have cleaning and some reorganizing to do around the house but I also have some potatoes I need to can.  What takes precedence?  The potatoes of course!  I seem to think of ways to work around canning projects often.  I'm not obsessed or addicted am I?  Well maybe I kind of am but at least it's a good obsession/addiction right?

So I'm going to can some potatoes today.  I'm going to add some herbs to them because it really makes them nice.  A little garlic powder and parsley will make them really nice to mash right out of the jar (drain them first).  Heat them up and add a little milk and butter and mash them.  Super yummy!  Or brown them by melting a little butter in a skillet, drain off the liquid and put them in the skillet to brown with a little chopped onion.  Again super yummy.

Or, use the browned potatoes and sprinkle them with some cheese and pop them in the oven for the cheese to melt over them. I use a cast iron skillet so I can go right from the stove top to the oven.  It's a great side dish for pork chops or meat loaf or lots of things.

Well now you can see why I think of ways to work around canning projects.  There are so many ways to use the things I can.  I love having the convenience and flexibility of having things as simple as potatoes on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment